A Swall Meadow homeowner called us last fall. He had put out rodenticide poison to
get rid of unwanted ground squirrels; he had just seen a Ringtail on his property and
was afraid it might have ingested some of the poison. We recommended he remove all
poisons immediately; he would have to wait to see if the Ringtail was killed.
Happily, the rarely-seen mammal was spotted later, alive. ESWC provided information on nonlethal methods for discouraging problem wildlife.
Poisons are not discriminate; new
generations of rodent poisons may not kill an animal who eats a poisoned rodent but
will stay in their system indefinitely and, over time, build up to lethal levels.
PLEASE avoid the use of lethal animal controls! See this page.
Permalink Submitted by eswc on Mon, 03/04/2013 - 18:47.
“Second-generation” anti-coagulant poisons are being
found in live wild animals in tests done at rehab centers
and by CA Fish & Wildlife in the wilderness. 100% of
mountain lions and bobcats tested were positive; 80% of
Fishers (only 1000 of these rare mammals in the Sierra)
and raptors also tested positive. These predators eat
poisoned squirrels and other prey; it doesn’t kill them but
stays in their systems, building up over time as they eat
other poisoned animals. Like lead and other heavy metal
poisoning, this long-term poisoning eventually kills
through organ breakdown or injuries due to weakness.